Monday, April 10, 2006

Inside Man (2006) - English Movie Review

I usually do not like reviews for English movies. Not that I do not understand them or enjoy them but I just find it outside my genre of interest to discuss them. This movie is special...and I will tell you why.

Inside man is a movie on Bank Robbery. This action flick has lots of gun, lots of screaming people, loads of cops, and of course the plot of the movie is Bank Robbery. The plot of the whole robbery-escape although is not the most nouveau ideas...I believe that someone in India had done it a long time ago...You know who? Let me see if I can explain this in simple flashback...

Ok now let us track back to somewhere between 1980-1990 (I know it is a long span) when K. Bagyaraj released a movie with him in the lead role. The movie starts with Bagyaraj dressed as a clown attempting Bank Robbery...He walks into the bank, points a gun and locks up the bank...He calmly proceeds to lock everyone up in a room and with the same calmness calls the police tells them that he will send all the hostages one by one (or something like that) and then dresses himself like an old man and walks himself outside the door and then escapes with the help of police who got conned. It surely was a novel concept...

If K.Bagyaraj had adopted it from an English novel and reproduced it in his movie then I am sorry...But still the idea behind the movie is stale. I wonder why I even spent the $8...But it was worth for just one thing...

The titles at the beginning and the rolling credits at the end. They played the song Chaiya Chaiya from the movie Dil Se by A.R. Rehman and sung by Sukhwinder Singh and Swapna Awasti. In fact I made all my friends wait till we saw A.R.'s name mentioned on the screen. We were four proud Indians standing there alone in the theater after everyone had cleared out. And I told everyone who had called me "Gavti Bunder" because I was from a small village called Chennai that "It was a Gavti Bunder who had also graced the screens of movie theaters all around the world!!!"

So now you see why this movie gets a special mention...Most of the times I always see an English movie remade in Indian but for the first time, at lease I felt that it was the other way around...and of course because of our ARR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who sees bad movies for the sake of seeing a movie? any way you write up is pretty good, non stop blabering. ;) just kidding its good. nice reviews bye, soma

Ratings by outbrain